Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Do you believe in signs?

The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. ~Rabindranath Tagore

I have been researching butterflies thanks to my many sightings. This morning I saw three more, a pair on the way to take Jack to vbs, then a singular yellow butterfly on my way home. Butterflies have a very short life span, actually. I have looked up myths about butterflies and every culture has a different belief. The chinese feel they bring luck, An Irish blessing goes: "May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun, and find your shoulder to light on To bring you luck, happiness and riches today, tomorrow and beyond." The Greeks believed that a new human soul was born each time an adult butterfly emerged from its cocoon.

I am not a huge sign believer until now. I am not sure what all these butterflies mean, but I am going to take it as a gift. They are beautiful and I feel special seeing them everywhere this week. I can only hope and pray they are somehow a special sign about our adoption. As the quote says above, butterflies do count only moments, they are not here for long. I have each day to create memories with my children, and am trying to not wish the days away until I can see Leah's face, hold her, just get on that plane and go get her!! I will try to live for today, hope for tomorow and pray for my baby girl.

Do you believe in signs? Did you have any on your adoption journey or on other journeys in life?

5 comments:

  1. When we were first deciding where to adopt from there was an article in the paper about TB regulations & adoptions from Ethiopia written by a doctor. It said he was the adoptive father of 4 children from Korea! I found his email address (I know CRAZY) & emailed him. He actually emailed me back & gave me his wife's email address. She gave me her # & we talked. That's how we came to Barker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, that's so interesting. Nice that he gave you his wife's email so you two could talk! :)

    I'm not sure about signs but I do know that each day is a gift and I'm trying to treat each day as a gift from God and not wish them all away, but sometimes that's easier said than done. :) Thinking of you! Hope you hear some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my father in law was very ill, my mother in law used to see butterflies here and there at different times/events, and it was always something special for her. Throughout his illness, butterflies became a symbol of him and his life. Needless to say, my mother in law has butterfly things everywhere you look. What's interesting, though, is since he has passed, we always see butterflies during special events, holidays, etc. We laugh and say "There's Papa, he's joining in on all the fun!" I love butterflies, they are magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely believe that God places the right people in our lives at the exact perfect time they are meant to be there, for whatever purpose they are supposed to serve. And the butterfly thing...been seeing lots these days as well. They have always been a symbol for me that our baby who past is still with us in some way. How is summer going?/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Dina! Very very hot, though. I am ready for fall!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are waiting to adopt our fourth child from the U.S.A. I am a momma to three other awesome children and wife to the love of my life. My boys are homegrown and my daughter is adopted from S. Korea . We cannot wait to meet our next baby!